Website Hosting is an online service that allows individuals and companies to have a website constantly posted on the Internet, without having to incur the cost of similar equipment ( e.g. servers) or the need to service a large number of external connections and bandwidth. This is undertaken by web hosting companies that offer space on their server and part of their network connection.
The term Web Hosting refers to the process by which the owner of a website rents space on computers (servers) to place their files or e-mail. These files, which make up the website, are offered through a secure network of uninterrupted service to the visitors.
The management of a website by its owner can be done through remote connection programs or by the browser via access to a control panel, which enables the management of emails, Files, website traffic statistics, installed applications and available technologies, etc.
The site owner can upload their files via a program (FTP client) to the hosting server, manage e-mail accounts and install the desired Web applications in the website (blog/blog, forum, guestbook, etc.). Some of these hosting control tables are the Plesk, the Cpanel, Webmin, etc.
Since the beginning of the 90, many companies have started to operate in the field of hospitality, as the need for a stable and continuous online presence has begun to become imperative. In the decade of 2000, the web hosting industry flourished first in the USA and then in Europe, following the high demand for hospitality services by individuals and businesses, for the accommodation of their website. Today, the relative decline in interest in web hosting is evident.
Every company that provides hosting to website owners has hosting plans with special features and prices. Depending on the use and the expected traffic of the website the interested party selects the package that suits him best. The offer of characteristics evolves in parallel with computer technology and the dissemination of the Internet as a means of communication and transactions. It is not uncommon for package features to change twice a year, offering, even more, features, speed, and services.
The hosting plans can be roughly categorized in the following families:
- Shared Hosting, where part of the server is provided and where other users are hosted.
- Reseller hosting, where it is provided the possibility to resell space and other web hosting tools.
- Virtual Private Server, where through special software, is provided an isolated space on the server, with its own-exclusive-system resources (memory, processing power) and centralized access.
- Dedicated Servers, where the entire server is provided for exclusive use and management by the site owner, always in the physical space of the hosting company.
- Cloud Hosting, where with load-sharing technology on multiple servers at the same time, incoming service requests are shared on those machines that have the least workload while simultaneously the copies on each server Ensure the integrity and availability of files.
Nowadays you can purchase hosting for your business’s needs not only with conventional money but with cryptocurrencies as well. Binewsbot has put together a list with the best hosting companies who accept bitcoin (and other cryptos). It might be a good starting point if you are looking for these kinds of services.